A great alternative to pulled pork. Here is a lighter version of a Memphis fave!
This recipe is adapted from Eating Well website for Barbecue Pulled Chicken.
- 1 8-ounce can reduced-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey (note: I used 1/2 cup of sparkling apple cider that I had on hand)
- 1 tablespoon sweet or smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Stir tomato sauce, chiles, vinegar, honey or cider, paprika, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and salt in a 6-quart slow cooker until smooth. Add chicken, onion and garlic; stir to combine.
- Put the lid on and cook on low until the chicken can be pulled apart, about 5 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred with a fork. Return the chicken to the sauce, stir well and serve.
NutritionPer serving: 184 calories; 8 g fat ( 2 g sat , 3 g mono ); 68 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 1 g fiber; 257 mg sodium; 303 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (19% daily value), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carb., 2.5 lean meat