Sunday, September 19, 2010

Pressure Cooker

Oh my oh my! How I love my pressure cooker. I know many of you out in internet land either have a pressure cooker, slow cooker or wish you did. Since I have been in my late teens, I have been using a slow cooker for yummy meals. Hey, in my household you either learned to cook or you didnt eat. LOL! Love you Mom! I used the slow cooker many a days and recently purchased my first pressure cooker.

It is not one of those scary, oh my is it going to expload, cookers. It is a Cook's Essentials digital or electric cooker. I have made so many yummy recipes since I have had it. From minestrone soup to turkey tettrazini. It takes a fraction of the time to cook up pot roast, chicken or other meats. I can put frozen chicken breasts in the cooker, cook 10 minutes and it is done....yeah!

One of my favorite go to recipes is as follows:

Minestrone Soup with Tortellini
2 T Olive Oil
1 Onion, chopped
2 Stalks celery, cut into small slices
2 Carrots, cut into small slices
1 T minced garlic, or 2 large cloves
8 oz of cheese tortellini (I use 1/2 bag of frozen tortellini-it is more cost effective)
4 C vegetable broth (I have also used chicken broth and was successful)
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
2 t Italian Seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste

Add oil to pressure cooker and heat on "brown" with lid off. Saute veggies and garlic until onions are soft.

Add remaining ingredients and stir. Lock pressure cooker lid and let on high for 12 minutes (if using frozen pasta, if not, 5 minutes will do)

Quick release the pressure when finished and serve.

I sometimes put either parm or mozzerella cheese on mine. :)

****Recipe taken from Bob Warden's Slow Food Fast Cookbook. Loads of really good recipes in here. I really enjoy this book because it tells you cooking times for rice, pastas, meats, etc. ***


Go here for an awesome pressure cooker...http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.tsv!.tpl.tsv.cm_scid.TSV

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes