Another cake recipe for you from The Cupcake Lady. Yes, some of these recipes are from box mixes. I know, I know. I have found that many people really like the taste of box mixes since it reminds them of cakes their family used to make. It is hard to get from scratch cakes to taste like box mixes. Either way, this cake is super moist and full of strawberry flavor. Enjoy!
Strawberry Cream Cake
· 1 box Strawberry Cake Mix
· 1 stick of butter, softened
· 1 T sugar
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
· 1/2 cup whole milk
· 3 T sour cream
· 2 large eggs; 2 egg whites
· 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2-9” baking pans; set aside.
2. Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. You should have about 1/2 cup of puree, add a few more strawberries if necessary or save any extra puree for frosting; set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
4. With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk, vanilla & strawberry puree; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture and sour cream, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended. Add nuts.
Divide batter evenly among prepared baking pans. Transfer pans to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 25 to 27 minutes. Transfer pans to a wire rack and let cakes cool completely in tin before icing