A friend of mine had given me a recipe many moons ago for a traditional zucchini bread. I adapted her recipe into a tropical bread. I use coconut oil and pineapple in this to give it a sweet and tropical flavor. Next time I might even add coconut flakes! I lowered a few of the calories by substituting applesauce for half of the oil and used Truvia instead of sugar.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c coconut oil (you can use other oils)
- ½ c applesauce
- 2 cups sugar OR (1/3 c Truvia + 1 T or 24 packets)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups coarsely grated zucchini
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (I put a smidge more since I like cinnamon)
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 c sour cream (shhhh secret ingredient. Don't tell) :D
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Add dry ingredients into wet a bit at a time and gently stir (by hand) after each addition. Add sour cream to mixture.
Divide the batter equally between 2 greased and flour-dusted 5 by 9 inch loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour. Cool in pans for 10-15 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool thoroughly.